You can import, sync and remove the facilities on your Kolibri device from the Facilities tab in your Device dashboard.
To manage facilities on a given device, you must have the super admin permissions.
Captions for the video are available in English, French, Swahili, Arabic, Hindi, Marathi and Brazilian Portuguese.
If you are part of a wider learning environment (for example when several learning facilities like schools or community centers are managed by one central organization), and your device is used to store the data from other facilities that are offline, you must first import those facilities. Once you have imported the facility on your device, you can periodically connect to their local network and sync the learner progress data.
To import a facility on your device, follow these steps.
Click the Import facility button.
Any device that has Kolibri running in the local network should appear in the Select network address window.
Select the device and click the Continue button.
If you do not see the address of the device listed, but you know the IP address, you can add it manually. Click the Add new address link, and fill in the required information.
Select facility. If there are several facilities on the source device, select the one you want to import.
Enter admin credentials. The credentials (username and password) you provide in this step must be either those for the facility admin of the facility you are importing, or for the super admin of the device you are importing from.
Wait for the importing facility task to complete. It may take some time, so please be patient.
When the import process is completed click the Back to facilities link and you will see the new facility on the list.
You can use the Sync facility feature for a variety of needs in both offline and online settings.
When syncing data between devices in the local network you must make sure that the same channels and resources are present on all the devices. If they do not have the same learning resources, coaches and learners will not be able to interact with lessons and quizzes correctly.
Examples of Data Syncing Scenarios
Roving Admin scenario
- Kolibri is installed on the central server for the Kolibri implementation.
- Kolibri is installed on all learner devices along with the facility and resources from the central server, which are then distributed amongst learners.
- Admin travels to the communities along with the central server, updates the resources on learner devices, and syncs learner data with the central server.
- Syncing data
- At a designated interval, an administrator goes out to communities with the central server device for the Kolibri implementation. This device should be set up to create a WiFi hotspot, or be paired with a portable WiFi router (does not need to be internet enabled), to allow the learner devices to connect to it for peer-to-peer syncing.
- The admin physically accesses the learner devices and connects them to the WiFi network, syncs data to the X device, and imports new learning resources if needed.
Admin at Kolibri hub
Kolibri is installed on a central server for the Kolibri implementation.
Kolibri is installed on all learner devices and loaded with the facility and resources from the central server, and then distributed amongst learners.
Learners periodically visit the Kolibri hub where an Admin syncs their devices to the central server and imports new resources onto their devices.
- The learner brings their device to the Kolibri Hub
- The admin physically accesses the learner devices and connects them to the WiFi network, syncs data to the device, and imports new learning resources if needed.
Read our Implementation models for distance learning with Kolibri v0.14 for more details to consider around the facility syncing strategies.
To sync classes, groups, learner progress, and all facility data with a device from which you previously imported it from, follow these steps.
- Click the SYNC button for the desired facility.
- Any device that has Kolibri running in the local network should appear in the Select network address window. Select the network address of the device you want to sync with.
- Syncing process will start immediately and you will see the task progress bar in the Facilities page. When the sync process is completed you can open the task manager and review the size of the sent and received data.
Firewals may impede your ability to see other devices in your local network, or add them as source. If you are unable to see other devices, make sure to:
- disable the firewalls on all the devices that you need to sync
- restart Kolibri for broadcast to take effect
Sync with Kolibri Data Portal¶
If your Kolibri facility is part of a larger organization that tracks data on the Kolibri Data Portal, you can register and sync from Facilities page, same as from Facility > Data page.
- Click the OPTIONS button and select the Register option, to register your facility with the Kolibri Data Portal (you must provide the project token).
- Click the SYNC ALL button to sync all registered facilities to the Kolibri Data Portal.
Kolibri Data Portal (KDP) is a new feature that is not yet broadly released. We are currently providing access to KDP to organizations on a contractual basis, and ultimately planning to offer this as a paid service by Learning Equality.
To remove a facility from the device, follow these steps.
Click the OPTIONS button on the right edge of the desired facility.
Select the Remove option.
Click the REMOVE button in the confirmation window to proceed, or CANCEL to exit.
When you remove a facility you will loose all its data. However, if you have previously synced it to another device or to the Kolibri Data Portal, you should be able to recover the removed facility data.